Field Service Engineering Manager
Costa Mesa, CA
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes the following, other duties may be assigned)
• Drives resolution of critical customer field service issues through use of 8D problem solving approach.
• Establishes and maintains good working relationships with customers to encourage repeat and referral business. Also visits customers periodically to assist with issues or improve relations.
• Provides a bridge between our customers’ aftersales experience, the field service group, product engineering and operations uniting all needed parties to identify, analyze and repair product failures to the customers’ satisfaction. Determines and recommends which products or services best fit the customers' needs.
• Identifies, contracts and manages a network of Authorized Service Providers (ASP) to augment our service delivery.
• Facilitates and/or conducts technical training and sends employees to appropriate training schools as needed. Ensures all technicians are kept up to date on all changes and updates in service procedures and required certifications, including new product offerings.
• Has system in place to provide accountability of technicians on repair procedures. Ensures service department has completed training requirements and keeps detailed records of training by tech and by product to ensure compliance with requirements.
• Delegates work properly so that efficient services are being rendered to the end customer. Monitors productivity and customer focus of field service team. Monitors technicians' daily productivity reports and corresponding payroll records.
• Forecasts goals and objectives for the department and strives to meet them.
• Hires, trains, motivates, counsels, and monitors the performance of all field service department staff.
• Monitors and controls the performance of the department using appropriate reports, tracking systems, and surveys.
• Reviews and approves all repair orders before submitting them to the warranty department.
• Coordinates with the Aftermarket Parts team to develop parts strategies that will satisfy our customers.
• Strives for harmony and teamwork within the department and with all other departments.
• Understands and ensures compliance by service department with company policies and procedures.
Responsible for the overall direction and evaluation of the field service department and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Performs performance reviews with employees at least semi-annually.
• Technical astuteness and strong problem solving capability required
• Excellent people management, leadership, time management, and organization skills.
• Good writing and presentation skills are required.
• Must have a passion for aftermarket growth and customer relationship management.
• Must be goal oriented and result driven.
• Proactive, strategic thinker with good judgment and curiosity to identify and solve underlying business problems.
• Flexible attitude and should be willing to travel at any given point of time. Works both inside the office and in the field, and may have varying work schedule. Position requires domestic travel up to 70%. Role may expand to include international responsibilities over time.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’ s degree in engineering or a technical field required.
• Substantial background in quality / reliability engineering. Six Sigma experience a plus.
• Field service experience in a global industrial company.
• Some international experience desirable.
• Experience with Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, CRM and ERP systems and software.