Marietta, GA 30067
The Senior Mechanical Designer delivers detail design, layout and drafting expertise to vessel sizing and drafting projects. He or she works on new product design and/or modifications to existing designs, primarily for retrofit projects. The Senior Mechanical Designer creates, produces and completes effective and accurate mechanical designs and drawings to meet project requirements, in accordance with technical data sheets and specifications from Process Engineers (not merely transferring the ideas of an engineer from a hand sketch to a finished drawing).
Senior Mechanical Designer is an integral part of the engineering team for entire projects. He or she coordinates with fabrication shops and suppliers, provides support to the Project Manager, and performs customer site visits during the building and installation process to ensure that the equipment is being built properly and according to design specifications, follows applicable code rules and regulations and meets or exceeds customer satisfaction.
The Senior Mechanical Designer uses computer assisted design/drafting equipment and software to develop designs, maintains the company drawing database and collaborates with global offices on design standards and new technology. He or she helps to troubleshoot mechanical design project barriers based on knowledge and experience.
- Using AutoCAD software, creates, produces and completes detail vessel design layouts primarily for retrofit projects using input from Process Engineers. Works on preliminary as well as final designs in line with customer needs.
- Revises designs to retrofit existing equipment as necessary; uses customer feedback and data to upgrade, improve or repair existing machines.
- Checks completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness and conformity to company procedures, standard practices, code rules and regulations.
- Confers with engineers on design problems and recommends design process and procedure changes.
- Performs revision of PIDs and Flowsheets in AutoCAD.
- Follows protocol to issue drawings internally using company document archive system.
- Collaborates with the Project Manager on the status of drawings; communicates with suppliers regarding orientations to match layout drawings; uses supplier drawings for placing in equipment layout.
- Visits fabrication shops in North America to check project status against schedule, confirm equipment is fabricated according to vessel drawings and verify ASME and company quality standards are met.
- Visits client facilities as appropriate and co-ordinates with Project Manager and Process Engineers on installation of project to ensure that the equipment is being built and installed properly
- design specifications, applicable code rules and regulations and meets or exceeds customer satisfaction.
- Performs stress analysis of large sized ducts and hot pipes as necessary, using Caesar software.
- Maintains drawing database in company’ s computer Document Archiving System.
- Coordinates with other global offices regarding changes in standard drawing designs and new technology.
- Provides technical expertise and applies advanced knowledge of design and drafting principles and practices to develop and implement innovative technical solutions that meet customers’ unique needs; stays up-to-date with latest technology to apply as applicable.
- Fosters an atmosphere of open communication, respect, mutual support, flexibility, continuous learning, humility, good humor, and commitment to business goals and customer needs to fulfill the company vision.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD release 2010.
- Demonstrated ability to create, produce and complete effective and accurate mechanical designs and drawings to meet project requirements, in accordance with technical data sheets and specifications from engineers
- Strong working knowledge of ASME Section VIII rules and regulations.
- Working knowledge of Caesar stress modeling.
- Self-starter with ability to work and achieve goals independently and efficiently as well as be a strong collaborative partner necessary
- Excellent interpersonal effectiveness and communication skills (effective listening, written and oral, telephone and face-to-face) are required to interface across departments, with co-workers, customers and suppliers
- Ability to read and interpret P&ID and ability to read vessel drawings necessary
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, Power Point required; knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics and Blue Beam AX necessary; familiarity with CIS and Drawing Archive System preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 15-20% necessary
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated mechanical design experience in industrial/manufacturing setting required; equipment design experience necessary; solids processing industry experience a plus.
- Strong understanding of piping, conveyors, gear boxes necessary
Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school in mechanical engineering preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.